We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Tomato soup
- Easy tomato soup
This is my standard recipe for tomato soup. I don't go mad with the cream, but you're free to do what you like with it. It can also be served with parmesan.
112 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped coarsely
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
- 2 (400g) tins peeled tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato puree (optional)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream or milk
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Heat olive oil in a pan and lightly fry the onions over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until soft. They should not brown.
- Add the garlic, oregano, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and basil and briefly stir so that the spices soak up the olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Then add the tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes slightly with a wooden spoon and stir everything. Pour in the chicken stock and cover, increase the temperature and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature, remove the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the hob, allow to cool slightly and remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Puree soup with hand blender and heat again (don't boil it again). Add cream or milk to taste, and season again with salt, pepper and a little sugar.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(10)
Reviews in English (4)
I really don't understand why so many ingredients. I make mine half a pound of cherry tomatoes, one tin chopped or whole tomatoes, two anchovy fillets, half the olive oil in the tin or jar of anchovies. Slow cooked for at least 2 hours, preferably 4. Pour into blender with half a teaspoon of sugar. Blitz, and serve. If a bit too thick add a few spoons of water to thin slightly. No need to sieve, just several.-10 Nov 2016
A cracker of a recipe.I am a novice male cook and followed this recipe. It was easy and the end product was rave reviews from family and friends alike. Made me look like I could cook!Try it with toasted Ciabatta or Sourdough - yum!-19 Nov 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)
I made this soup just now as I have a soup maker and it was restaurant quality soup. It was delicious. The family loved it. Thankyou so much for the recipe. Will be making this again real soon-22 Jun 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)