- Dish type
Rethink falafel - while the traditional wrap is great, this is a tasty vegetarian alternative to beefburgers. Serve in a burger bap or pitta.
219 people made this
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 75g (3 oz) mushrooms, diced
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, undrained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- small handful chopped fresh coriander
- small handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 50g (2 oz) dried breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying, or as needed
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:25min
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add spring onions and mushrooms, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine the chickpeas (with liquid) and garlic in ta blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the mushrooms and onions. Mix in the coriander, parsley, curry powder and cumin. Add the breadcrumbs and egg whites, and mix until thoroughly blended. You can let the mixture sit in the refrigerator to meld the flavours at this point, or go on to frying.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan over medium heat. Form the chickpea mixture into 4 balls, and flatten into burgers. Place the burgers in the hot frying pan, and fry for about 5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(102)
Reviews in English (86)
Altered ingredient amounts.I've made this a few times and I found adding the liquid from the chickpeas just made it too wet. So I drain all of the liquid from the chickpeas before adding to the food processor.-16 Dec 2010
This falafel was delicious and I have already passed the recipe on the a few friends! I added sweetcorn in place of the mushrooms and it worked really well - I love the spicy kick. It was delicious in pitta with shredded red cabbage and a little hummous-30 Sep 2010
This is a really nice recipe, great to whip up for a mid week meal or a Satuday lunch. I serve these in a tortilla wrap with rocket and mayo or houmous. My one year old loves them too!-16 Dec 2010