- Dish type
- Cake decorating
- Buttercream icing
Rich and moist dark chocolate and coffee cupcakes with a silky Baileys® Irish cream buttercream icing.
Cheshire, England, UK
95 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 7 cupcakes
- For the cakes
- 1 dessertspoon instant coffee granules
- 30ml warm water
- 60g butter
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 dessertspoon cocoa powder
- 75g self-raising flour
- 40g ground almonds
- 60g dark chocolate (high cocoa solids)
- 90ml milk
- For the buttercream
- icing sugar
- Baileys® Irish cream
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4 and prepare cupcake cases on baking tray.
- Combine instant coffee and water and set aside.
- Mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until combined.
- Sieve together flour and cocoa powder and add half to butter mixture. Add ground almonds.
- Melt the chocolate, taking care not to burn it and add to the butter mixture.
- Add milk, remaining flour/cocoa and coffee to butter mixture and mix well.
- Divide into cupcake cases and bake in preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- For the buttercream mix butter until creamy and then fold in icing sugar and Baileys, adding a little of each at a time until you reach the required quantity and taste.
I haven't included quantities for the buttercream as this depends so much on how much Baileys you wish to add and how much buttercream you like on your cakes. It's best just to add a little of each ingredient at a time and keep tasting until you reach the required strength and quantity.
Alternatively if you wish to make this non-alcoholic Baileys could be substituted for a little cooled black coffee.
This recipe can easily be doubled to make more cakes.
How to ice cupcakes
Watch our How to ice cupcakes video to see how to dress them up or down for any occasion!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(14)
Reviews in English (12)
These are just gorgeous! I doubled the recipe and made 15 muffins. Mine took 30 mins in my fan oven. I iced half with the Baileys buttercream (divine) and the other half with chocolate buttercream. I bought an icing nozzle especially for these and am so glad I did. I will definitely be making lots more of them.-04 Apr 2013
i made these yesterday for the 1st time but it definately wont be the last. Very yummy everyone loved them. My 3 favourite things chocolate,coffee and baileys....cant possibly be bad! A real treat x-24 Apr 2012
This is such a lovely recipe! they were a hit with everyone, and so easy to make. Will definately be making again and again! x-18 Nov 2011