- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This popular Indian dish is easy to make and tastes fab! Chicken is simmered in a mild, but creamy curry sauce. Serve withnaan, roti, parathas and/or rice.
63 people made this
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 125ml double cream
- 50g butter
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:45min
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir-fry the onions until tender.
- Mix the chicken into the frying pan. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Puree the tomatoes and green pepper in a food processor and mix into the frying pan.
- Season with salt, garam masala and chilli powder. Stir in the cream and butter and continue cooking until heated through.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(70)
Reviews in English (51)
A curry for non curry people. Lacked taste needed addition of 1tsp of curry powder.-04 Feb 2014
this was delicious without the cream. I used 3 skinned and deseeded tomatoes rather than 8 (this was all I had in my fridge) plus half a carton of passata (250mls). When I added the full amount of cream I found this really dulled the flavours. Think it would be tastier with at least half the cream recommended in the recipe, and also a lot healther.-23 Nov 2010
This recipe was very easy to follow. My suggestion which made it taste like "real Indian" butter chicken was to add 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 cup of butter (it's butter chicken). If not you have a very green pepper or tomato taste. Also maybe another TBSP of garam masala.Made the recipe 100%!!!-06 Mar 2006