- Dish type
- Apple jam
Apple butter requires much less sugar than jam, just more time and a slow cooker.
4 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 10 small jars
- 2.5 to 3kg apples
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 orange, zested, to taste
MethodPrep:40min ›Cook:16hr ›Ready in:16hr40min
- Peel, quarter, core and chop apples. Put as many apples in the slow cooker as possible and put the remaining in a bowl. Drizzle with a half of the lemon juice so they won't turn brown.
- Add sugar and cinnamon, the rest of the lemon juice and orange zest. Cover the slow cooker and set it to maximum. Set the time for 8 hours. Stir from time to time to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Add the remaining apples plus the accumulated liquid. Mix to combine, then cover the slow cooker. Let cook at maximum setting for a further 6 to 8 hours. Stir from time to time to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Taste and add more sugar if desired. Fill hot apple butter in sterilised jars and fill close with lids. Turn the jars upside down till cooled down.